Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Lindsey's world

At Lindsey's IEP meeting yesterday, we discussed Lindsey's need to become more independent and her needing to do more for herself. Ms Terri her VI teacher said a lot of her kids seem to think things appear out of thin air and disappear once they are through with them because they never see the sequence that happens to get them their water or milk or whatever. So, we have started working harder on slowing down to Lindsey's speed and making her do things. Today when she got home from school Lindsey had to go potty, so I took her to the door of the bathroom and told her where she was and to go find the potty. In the mean time, Holly had gone to her room and was dragging her blanket and pillow into the front room so she could watch Peter Pan. So I helped Holly get the blanket, that only made it half way, and carry it into the front room. Then I went to check on Lindsey. She had made it all the way in the bathroom to the potty and had gotten up on the potty all by her self and gone! There was just one little catch, she forgot to take her panties off. Oh well, at least she got the rest of it right! (laughing continuously)

2 comments:

dlriley said...

I am rolling in the floor. That is so funny. Be sure and write it down for when she is older. Lindsey just needs to be around her Grandy who is much slower than everyone else anymore and getting slower all the time. The rest of you live in a "I've got to get this done now" world and "I don't have time to go your speed". I can understand it, I used to live there too. I remember getting so frustrated with Maebeth because her fast was like a snails pace. I've gotten over it mostly. Now I just hope you girls won't leave me behind.

Leanne said...

I'm so proud of her. She is much more capable than she lets on obviously. Good job letting it happen, too. It's easier to just do it for them but it pays off in the end.